Working, studying or taking up residence outside Québec: Agreements with other countries
Québec has concluded social security agreements with certain countries. You could benefit from such an agreement if you are headed for a signatory country or if you are a native of that country. In general, the agreement applies when you take up residence permanently or during a temporary stay to work, study or undergo training. However, you have to take certain steps to be covered under such an agreement.
Purposes of health insurance agreements
- Allow Quebeckers to benefit from social security in a signatory country when they spend time temporarily or take up residence there
- Afford health insurance coverage under the Québec Health Insurance Plan to natives of signatory countries when they spend time temporarily or take up residence in Québec
- Avoid having these persons being subjected to a waiting period before they become insured and eligible for covered services (according to the conditions set out by the host country)
Leaving Québec for a signatory country
Private insurance before you leave
We recommend that you take out private supplemental insurance before leaving Québec to cover the costs not insured by the host country
Steps to take before leaving Québec
Fill out the form Demande d’attestation that is required in your situation.
Obtain any other documents necessary in your situation.
Send the required documents to the following address:
Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec
C. P. 6600, succ. Terminus
Québec (Québec) G1K 7T3
You can also bring them to our Québec or Montréal reception desk.
If your Demande d’attestation form was admissible and complete, you will receive an attestation of affiliation bearing the RAMQ seal in the mail.
You will have to present this document to the social security organization of your host country.
Documents to be sent to the RAMQ
Select your situation to find out what documents you need to send us. The provisions of these agreements also concern, in certain cases, your spouse and the dependants accompagnying you. You must have any document in a language other than French and English translated at your cost.
You have to send us 2 documents:
- Demande d’attestation pour l’application du protocole d’entente Québec-France relatif à la protection sociale des élèves et étudiants et des participants à la coopération (form 3013, French only), completed and signed
- Other document to be provided according to your status (see the following table)
|Status||Other document to be provided|
|Student enroled in an institute of higher education in France||Admission letter or attestation of advance registration or attestation of enrolment, issued by the educational institution in France|
|Student participating in an exchange between institutes of higher education||Attestation d’affiliation à leur régime de sécurité sociale des participants aux échanges entre établissements d’enseignement supérieur (form SE 401-Q-106), completed and signed by the officer in charge of exchanges at your educational institution, and bearing the institution’s official seal|
|Student undergoing mandatory unpaid training as part of a program of studies||Attestation d’affiliation à leur régime de sécurité sociale des étudiants participant à des stages non rémunérés dans le cadre de leurs études (form SE 401-Q-104), completed and signed by the officer in charge of student internships at your educational institution, and bearing the institution’s official seal|
|Participant in a training and employment program of the Office franco-québécois pour la jeunesse (OFQJ)||Attestation d’affiliation à leur régime de sécurité sociale des stagiaires du programme Formation et emploi (form SE 401-Q-105), completed and signed by the officer in charge of the OFQJ, and bearing the organization’s official seal|
|Recipient of a Québec or French government scholarship managed by the Centre français pour l’accueil et les échanges internationaux (Campus France)||Letter confirming that you received a scholarship from the French government or confirmation from Campus France that you are a scholarship recipient|
|Postdoctoral researcher having received a Québec research fellowship, without any ties to or salary from an employer (a postdoctoral researcher is considered a temporary worker)|
To find out more, refer to the information note corresponding to your situation:
You have to send us 2 documents:
- Demande d’attestation pour l’application du protocole d’entente Québec-France (form 2719, French only), completed and signed
- Contract or letter from your employer, confirming the duration of your employment in France
To find out more, read the information note Protection santé pour un résident québécois qui travaille temporairement en France (French only)
Send us the form Demande d’attestation pour l’application du protocole d’entente Québec-France (form 2719, French only), completed and signed.
Send us the form Application to Obtain an Attestation corresponding to your host country, completed and signed.
- Belgium – Demande d’attestation (French only)
- Denmark – Application to Obtain an Attestation
- Finland – Application to Obtain an Attestation
- Greece – Application to Obtain an Attestation. If you are a student in Greece temporarily, you must also send us your letter of full-time admission to or registration.
- Luxembourg – Application to Obtain an Attestation
- Norway – Application to Obtain an Attestation
- Portugal – Application to Obtain an Attestation
- Romania – Demande d’attestation (French only)
- Sweden – Application to Obtain an Attestation
If you are a detached worker, your employer has to request a certificate of coverage confirming that you were insured by the Québec Health Insurance Plan. To obtain it, contact Retraite Québec’s Bureau des ententes de sécurité sociale.
Other components of the agreements
Social security agreements have other health insurance components, and they all include a component regarding benefits. Some contain provisions concerning industrial accidents and occupational diseases. To find out more, refer to the websites of Retraite Québec and the Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail.
The full texts of the social security agreements are available on the website of the Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie.