Skip to main content
Important notice

COVID-19: Information in effect as of January 8, 2021

Our services are available online and by telephone. In compliance with the new sanitary measures and to limit physical contact, our offices are no longer accessible. If you have any questions, please refer to the webpage Questions and answers about our services during the pandemic.

Separation or divorce

When 2 persons separate or divorce, they usually have to take certain steps concerning their health and prescription drug insurance coverage.

Procedure concerning health insurance

When 2 persons insured by the Health Insurance Plan become separated or divorced, they must call RAMQ or visit an office of RAMQ during office hours to report their change in civil status. Where one of the parents obtains custody of a child, it is important to inform RAMQ so that documents concerning the child can be sent to the right address.

A separation or divorce may also affect your prescription drug insurance coverage. It is therefore important to make sure you're covered by the right plan.

Regardless of your situation, RAMQ cannot issue a duplicate Health Insurance Card, not even for a child. It's up to you to make sure your child has his/her card with him/her.

If your new situation involves a move for you or your children, refer to the section on moving for information about changes of address.

Procedure concerning prescription drug insurance

When 2 persons become separated or divorced, they must usually take certain steps to make sure they are covered by the right prescription drug insurance plan.

In some cases, a separation or divorce has no effect on the prescription drug coverage of the persons involved, such as when the former spouses are covered by the public plan or by their respective private plans.

A person who maintained private plan coverage for his or her spouse is no longer entitled to do so in the event of separation or divorce.

Steps to take

First, the person who does not want to maintain his or her former spouse's coverage must ask the insurer to change his or her coverage.

The former spouse, who is then without coverage, must determine whether he or she is eligible for a private plan. Eligibility is usually available through employment or through membership in a professional order or association.

If the person is eligible for a private plan, he or she must join that plan, at least for the prescription drug portion. Prescription drug coverage is most often included in a plan covering other health care (called a health insurance plan), but is sometimes offered alone.

Persons who have no access to a private plan must register for the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan.

Maximum annual contribution

There is a maximum annual amount that insured persons may be required to pay for their drug purchases. As a general rule, the private insurer or RAMQ sees to it that this maximum is not exceeded. However, persons who change insurance plans and believe they will reach their maximum annual contribution before the end of the year must themselves inform their new insurer of the amount of their contributions.

About the children of a couple that separates

If the parents do not share the same domicile, the child must be covered by the private plan of the parent with whom he or she is domiciled. If that parent is not eligible for a private plan, the child must have coverage under the private plan of the other parent. A person may be eligible for a private plan through employment or through membership in a professional order or association.

If both parents are ineligible for a private plan, they must be registered for the public plan, under which their child will be covered as well.

However, if one of the parents becomes the spouse of a person eligible for a private plan, that parent must be covered by that plan, as must the parent's child if he or she is domiciled with the couple.