Skip to main content
Important notice

Temporary measure to renew the Health Insurance Card

To renew your Health Insurance Card, you must mail your completed and signed renewal form to us, without going through the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec service outlets. You do not need to provide a photo: we will use the one on file.To find out more, read the news release from March 8.

Professionals offering covered services

Most health professionals participate in the Public Health Insurance Plan and offer insured persons services covered by the Health Insurance Act. However, some professionals practise their profession outside the scope of the public plan and this determines how they are remunerated.

Types of health professionals and services rendered

Only the following professionals can render covered services:

  • General practitioners and specialists
  • Dentists
  • Oral and maxillo-facial surgeons
  • Optometrists
  • Pharmacists

However, not all of the services rendered by these professionals are covered.

Some professionals render services that are not covered or that are covered only when rendered in a facility (hospitals, CLSCs, residential and long-term care centres or rehabilitation centres, for example). Among these professionals are:

  • Acupuncturists*
  • Audiologists*
  • Chiropractors*
  • Dietitians-nutritionists*
  • Kinesiologists
  • Massage therapists
  • Naturopaths
  • Naturotherapists
  • Nurses*
  • Occupational therapists*
  • Osteopaths
  • Physiotherapists*
  • Podiatrists*
  • Psychologists*
  • Speech therapists*

* These professionals belong to a professional order.

Professionals practising within the scope of the public plan

Participating health professionals are those who practise their profession within the scope of the Health Insurance Plan. They are remunerated in accordance with the tariffs provided in an agreement between their representatives and the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux.

The covered services rendered by these professionals are paid directly by RAMQ when you present your valid Health Insurance Card. If you do not have a card, you must pay for the services. However, you can request a reimbursement if you are eligible for health insurance.

Professionals practising outside the scope of the public plan

Some health professionals practise their profession outside the scope of the Public Health Insurance Plan. They are known as health professionals who are non-participating or have withdrawn (provisions for which are set out in the Health Insurance Act). They must inform you of their status when you consult them.

List of health professionals who are not participating or have withdrawn (French only)


Non-participating professionals do not agree to be remunerated in accordance with the tariffs provided in the agreement. They themselves determine their tariffs and do not accept the Health Insurance Card.

You alone assume the payment of the fees of these professionals when you consult them. These fees will not be reimbursed to you by RAMQ.

Withdrawn (opted-out)

Health professionals who have opted out agree to be remunerated in accordance with the tariffs provided in the agreement even if they practise their profession outside the scope of the Health Insurance Plan.

If you consult a professional who has opted out, it is up to you to take the steps necessary for the professional to be remunerated.

  1. After the consultation, the professional will give you a request for payment form.
  2. Mail us the form to the address indicated.
  3. Upon receipt of the cheque we will send to you, contact your professional to agree on the best way to reimburse them..

You have no fee to pay for a visit for insured services. Payment will be required only once you have received the reimbursement cheque from RAMQ. You may be billed, however, if non-covered services were provided to you.

Frequently asked questions

To file a complaint on the quality of services rendered by a health professional, please contact the Collège des médecins du Québec.

  • By mail
    Collège des médecins du Québec
    1250, boulevard René-Lévesque Ouest, bureau 3500
    Montréal (Québec)  H3B 0G2    
  • By telephone
    514 993-4441 (Montréal)
    1 888 633-3246 (toll-free)

If the situation is one where laws were not observed, refer to the webpage Report wrongdoing (a person or situation). To file a complaint regarding a service provided by RAMQ, SAAQ or a CLSC, use the form File a complaint on the quality of services.

No. Participating professionals generally provide covered services, but they may bill you certain fees: these are non-covered services. Non-participating professionals are not governed by RAMQ. They can bill you the amount of their choice for a given service rendered. Their consultation is therefore at your expense. We do not reimburse these fees unless the billing terms and conditions provided for by law are not respected. Before requesting a reimbursement, refer to the webpage Obtain information on covered services.