Skip to main content
Important notice

COVID-19: Information about our services

Our services are available online and by telephone. In compliance with the new sanitary measures and to limit physical contact, our offices are no longer accessible. If you have any questions, please refer to the webpage Questions and answers about our services during the pandemic.

Birth or adoption

In the case of a newborn or an adoption, the parents must contact RAMQ to check whether their child meets the eligibility requirements to the Health Insurance Plan. For parents covered under the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan, no action is required, unless the child is born outside Québec or was adopted.

Procedure concerning health insurance

This section explains how to register a newborn or adopted child for the Health Insurance Plan. Once RAMQ has determined that the child fulfills the eligibility requirements, RAMQ will issue a Health Insurance Card, giving the child access to insured healthcare services.

Children born of parents who are in Québec as tourists are not eligible for coverage under the plan. The Health Insurance Act and the Regulation respecting eligibility and registration of persons in respect of the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec provide for those who are eligible for the plan.

Registering a child born in Québec

  • Parents who are settled in Québec or registered with the plan as temporary residents of Québec don't have to register their child if he or she is born in Québec.
  • All the new parents need to do is register their child with the Directeur de l’état civil, using the form obtained from the hospital or given to them by the midwife. The information needed for registering the child with the Health Insurance Plan and, where applicable, for the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan will be sent to RAMQ automatically. Thereafter, RAMQ will assess the child’s eligibility.

Registering a child born outside Québec

The following information is for parents of a child born outside Québec who are in one of the following situations:

  • they are eligible for the Health Insurance Plan and settled in Québec (their domicile is in Québec)
  • they are eligible for the Health Insurance Plan as persons in Québec for a temporary stay

Step 1

Fill out and sign the registration form

First, you need to obtain the registration form from RAMQ.

You cannot register a child online. You must call RAMQ or visit an office of RAMQ during office hours to obtain a registration form. If you call, RAMQ recommends that you have the child's proof-of-identity documents handy. If you come to an office of RAMQ, you can submit the child's application for registration at the office, as long as you have all the required documents with you.

Step 2

Attach the required proof-of-identity documents

Attach to the registration form the original documents attesting to the child's Canadia status. After duplicating them, RAMQ will return any original documents to you within 30 days, but you won't receive them at the same time as your Health Insurance Card.

Instead of an original document, you may submit a certified true copy.

  • If you are a Canadian citizen, attach to the form the original of one of the following documents:
    • Canadian citizenship card or certificate
    • Canadian passport
  • If you are an Indian recognized by the Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada, attach to the form the original of the Indian status certificate issued by the Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada and the original of the birth certificate.
  • If you are a foreign national, attach to the form the originals of documents issued by the Canadian and Québec immigration authorities. If you are registered for the plan as being in Québec for a temporary stay, only the document issued by the Canadian immigration authorities is required for registering your child.

Step 3

Provide RAMQ with the documents

You must mail the registration form and the required documents to RAMQ or drop them off at one of RAMQ’s offices.

You may be eligible for the Child Assistance measure of Retraite Québec. If so, you must register with Retraite Québec to receive your payments. For further information about the eligibility criteria and the application procedure, please refer to the website of Retraite Québec

Registering an adopted child

Contact RAMQ.

Procedure concerning prescription drug insurance

If the parents are covered by the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan, they don't have to take any steps with RAMQ to register their child born in Québec. The information necessary to register the child is automatically transferred by RAMQ to the Directeur de l’état civil with whom the new parents registered their child, using the form received at the hospital or from the midwife.

The parents must call RAMQ to register a child

  • born outside Québec for the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan
  • adopted in or outside Québec

If the parents are eligible for a private plan, they must provide coverage under it for their child. They are required to notify their insurer as quickly as possible of the birth or adoption.