We hold and maintain a large quantity of information on insured persons, health professionals and other health service providers. As a public agency, we are subject to the Act respecting access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information. In addition, the Health Insurance Act contains more restrictive privacy provisions, in that it specifies what disclosure of information is permitted.
We have implemented a security infrastructure to protect our information assets and made technological choices, opting for the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) security protocol to safeguard the confidentiality and integrity of data exchanges between your device and the RAMQ servers. This protocol, with its 256-bit encryption capacity, renders transmitted information illegible. In addition, an electronic certificate guarantees that you are indeed communicating with a computer at RAMQ.
Automatic exchange of information
Whenever you access our website, information is exchanged automatically between your device and our server. The following information is exchanged:
- the Internet domain name (e.g. "xyzcompany.com" if you use a personal Internet access account or "university.edu" if your access is through a university)
- IP address with which you access our website (i.e. a number assigned automatically to your device by your Internet service provider)
- types of equipment and configuration used to access our website: browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Google Chrome) and operating system (e.g. Microsoft or iOS), etc.
- date and time on which you access our website
- pages you visit
- if you came to our site via another site, the address of that site
This exchange of information is necessary to ensure that our server sends you files compatible with your computer equipment. We also gather this information for statistical purposes, for instance, to tally the number of visitors, most visited webpages, technologies and equipment used, general user location and reference sites.
Minimum required configuration
Your browser must be configured to be compatible with the 256-bit SSL security protocol, which ensures the confidentiality of the personal information you transmit.
For an optimal navigating experience, we suggest that you use recent software configurations (including the latest available updates) for your devices.
Links to other websites
Means of communication
We have made available various ways for you to communicate with us securely: a telephone answering service, online services and secure emails sent from our website. Please note that we are unable to respond via unsecured email to requests involving the disclosure of personal information or any question concerning your personal file.
Use of our online services
When you use our online services, we need to check your identity to:
- access your file and process your request
- guarantee the privacy of your information
This is why, in certain cases, we will temporarily redirect you to clicSÉQUR, the Québec government authentication service.
Collection of information when using an online service or sending a secure email
If you use an online service or send a secure email, you must provide certain information so that we can identify you and process your request. Otherwise, we may deny it.
Please remember that you can access your personal information and correct it, if applicable. For further information, refer to the webpage How to file an access to information request.
Recommended good practices
Even if we use leading-edge technology to protect personal information, we cannot assume responsibilities that you must fulfill yourself. Here is some advice in this regard.
We recommend that you install a firewall on your device to protect against malicious individuals gaining remote access and obtaining confidential information without your knowledge.
We recommend that you install antivirus software on your device to protect against the many viruses and malware circulating on the Internet. You should also install the updates provided regularly by the software supplier.
- Do not open email from dubious sources.
- Install the security patches provided by the manufacturer, whether for your devices or the software they contain.
- Never leave your device unattended; install a password-protected screen saver to prevent anyone from using your device in your absence.
We hold the exclusive rights to the intellectual property pertaining to the information on our website.
For questions about the use of our brands and copyrights, refer to the webpage Use of RAMQ brands and copyrights.