August 12, 2021 – In spring 2020, due to the pandemic, dental and optometry clinics were only open for urgent care. Therefore, appointments were rescheduled at times when people were no longer insured for certain services.
If you are in this situation, you will be able to ask for a reimbursement of the fees paid for these services. If you purchased eyeglasses or contact lenses for a child who turned 18 between March 16 and September 1, 2020, you may also be eligible for a refund.
You are entitled to a reimbursement if you meet the following 3 conditions:
- You are covered by the Québec Health Insurance Plan.
- Between March 16 and September 1, 2020, you have exceeded the age limit for receiving free services or lost your eligibility for last-resort financial assistance (claim slip).
- Between June 1, 2020 and October 26, 2021, you have paid for services that were covered before your birthday or your loss of eligibility for last-resort financial assistance.
Example of eligible persons
- Your child turned 10 in May 2020. His dental appointment, scheduled in April, was rescheduled in August due to the pandemic. You had to pay for a tooth extraction as this service is not covered for children of age 10 and over.
- The appointment for your complete eye examination was cancelled in May 2020, because your clinic was closed due to the pandemic. In June, you lost your eligibility for last-resort financial assistance (claim slip) and had to pay for the optometrist’s services when you visited in October 2020.
Eligible services rendered by a health professional
You have until October 26, 2021 to obtain eligible services. You can then request a reimbursement. To find out more on these services, refer to the following webpages:
Request for reimbursement: deadline and required documents
You must submit your request for reimbursement online before January 24, 2022. A detailed invoice of the services rendered and a proof of payment are required.
If your request concerns the purchase of eyeglasses or contact lenses for a child who turned 18 between March 16 and September 1, 2020, refer to the webpage Eyeglasses and contact lenses for children to find out the terms and conditions of reimbursement.