Assisted procreation: temporary reimbursement measures for in vitro fertilization services
The Program of Temporary Measures Related to Certain Assisted Procreation Services Required for In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is intended to offset certain consequences of the loss of insurance coverage during the COVID-19 pandemic. As such, the Program allows for the reimbursement of IVF services to women who have lost eligibility for the medically assisted procreation program due to their age between November 15, 2021, and December 31, 2022.
The temporary measures apply to women who met the eligibility requirements for insured IVF services as of November 15, 2021. Reimbursement for services is therefore possible under the following conditions:
- Meet the eligibility criteria for insured IVF services with the exception of the woman’s age.
- Have turned 41 between November 15, 2021, and December 31, 2022 (born between November 15, 1980, and December 31, 1981).
- Be 41 years of age at the time of receiving IVF services and have completed them before age 42.
- Have received and paid for services performed by a physician participating in the Québec Health Insurance Plan.
Situation leading to a reimbursement
The following 3 situations can lead to a reimbursement once the services have been received and paid for:
- You have already received IVF services since November 15, 2021.
- You are currently receiving IVF services and will complete your treatments before you turn 42.
- You have not yet received IVF services: you will start your treatments soon and finish them before you turn 42.
You must submit your application for reimbursement before July 1, 2024.
The maximum amount allowed is $13,450 for insured services required for a single IVF cycle. This amount is to reimburse you for the standard IVF services you have paid for, with the exception of embryo transfer. You must pay any additional amount. If we have already paid you an amount for the same services, it will be deducted from the sum to be granted to you.
|Covered Services||Maximum amounts reimbursed|
|Percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration or surgical extraction (PESA/TESE)|
Microsurgical testicular sperm extraction
|$2,500 (aspiration or surgical extraction)|
$4,000 (microsurgical extraction)
|Services required for ovarian stimulation (a maximum of 2 per IVF cycle)||$1,200|
|Services required to retrieve eggs from only one person, services required to retrieve sperm (including the visit and sperm washing), and standard fertilization and embryo culture services carried out in the laboratory||$4,300|
|Assisted hatching services and sperm microinjection services||$500 (assistance)|
|Purchase of one sperm straw (either from a directed donation or from a sperm bank)||$950|
|Freezing and storage of embryos for a maximum of one year||$1,000|
If you receive a reimbursement from this application and you or your spouse received the tax credit for the treatment of infertility or the refundable tax credit for medical expenses, you will need to make changes to your income tax return. Revenu Québec will determine the amount of tax credit you will have to reimburse. For more information on the procedure, refer to the Correcting an error or omission page on the Revenu Québec website. Moreover, if you have requested advance payment of the tax credit for treatment of infertility for 2022, your next income tax return should take into account the amount obtained under the program.
Procedure for obtaining a reimbursement
Complete and sign the Undertaking Form.
If applicable, each partner must complete an undertaking form and keep it in PDF format. It will be part of the documents to be attached to your application for reimbursement.
Gather the other documents required by your application in PDF format.
- Statement of fees or invoice describing the professional services and their costs.
- Proof of payment of professional services (mention “Paid” stamped on the invoice, receipt or cash sales slip, for example).
Complete the application for reimbursement online.
You must attach the documents listed in steps 1 and 2 in PDF format.
You have moved?
Report the change of address by using the Service québécois de changement d’adresse so that your cheque is sent to the right place.
Application for review
You can apply for a review of a RAMQ decision. To find out more, refer to the page Request a review of a decision.