Correction of information on the card
The information appearing on your Health Insurance Card can be corrected, as long as the correction requested corresponds to the information shown on your proof-of-identity documents.
Correct your last name, first name, birthdate or sex
The Régie can correct your last name, first name, birthdate and sex. Contact the Régie by telephone or in person during office hours to obtain the required form. If your Health Insurance Card is up for renewal, you can have the information corrected by completing the appropriate section on your renewal notice.
To have a correction made to your last name, first name, birthdate or sex, provide the original of one of the following:
- birth certificate (wallet-size or full-size) or copy of the act of birth issued by a Canadian vital statistics office. For a birth in Québec, only the document issued by the Directeur de l'état civil after 1993 is accepted
- Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship issued before February 2012
- document issued by the Canadian immigration authorities
- certificate of change of name
- certificate of change of designation of sex
The document you provide must enable the Régie to make a correction. If you send the document to the Régie, it will be returned to you within 30 days, after being duplicated. However, you won't receive it at the same time as your Health Insurance Card.
After correcting the information, the Régie will issue you a new Health Insurance Card, which means that you must provide your signature and a photo meeting specifications established by the government.
Add or remove your husband's name
If you are a woman in either of the following situations, can add or remove your husband's name:
- you were married before April 2, 1981
- you were married outside Québec and exercise your civil rights under your husband's name
Just call the Régie or visit an office of the Régie during office hours, to obtain the required form. If your card is up for renewal, you must contact the Régie, but you won't have to fill out a form. The change will be recorded in your file and will appear on the next card you are issued.
Receipt of your card
The Régie will mail your card to you. In its Statement of Services for the Public, the Régie undertakes to issue your card within 10 days of receiving a complete application.